Friday, June 3, 2011

To Tide You Over...

I was so surprised...the sun is practically never down here!

Seriously, the sky doesn´t get even remotely dark until about midnight, and then it´s already risen by the time we wake up at 7:30. It´s crazy. Really makes you realize why Spaniards have such long days--get up by 9, be up and about all day, party at night, and go to bed by 5 am. Again, one of my professors seriously told us that she doesn´t even eat dinner until 11 at least, and then they stay up, doing who knows what. Insane. Giana, Caroline and I are exhausted just attempting even part of their schedule.

We´ve been a little snippy with each other lately, and I am fully attributing that to lack of sleep and long days, and walking, walking, walking. 

But anyway, I have a whole other post typed out on my computer that´s more interesting, but we stopped by the internet café by chance tonight before going out to tapas (in other words, bars). 

Giana and Caroline saw the mayor today, and got us a bunch of free Salamanca stuff--they were pretty excited about that. (I was in class, missing the text that told us to meet at the Plaza, oops.) Other than that, we learned to dance the salsa, merengue, and bachata. Weird, since none of those are Spanish dances, but it was one of our program´s <<excursions>> around the city. The dude teaching us was hot, and clearly annoyed by our sad, not-dancer, group. But the dances were really fun, and I´m glad I´ve finally gotten to learn them. :] 

Tomorrow morning, we´re taking our first, all-day excursion. We´re going to be exhausted, and probably sleep all day Sunday, but we´re going to be visiting the cities of Segovia and Ávila. They´re about 2 1/2 and 1 1/2 hours away, respectively, from Salamanca and are supposed to be really beautiful. Plus the trip is free as part of our program. :] I´m tired just thinking about it, but it´s going to be such a cool experience. 

I absolutely love being in Spain. I am exhausted--physically because we never seem to rest and are always walking, and mentally because I´m constantly trying to think in Spanish. It gets really tiring sometimes and I just want to yell out and only speak in English forever. But really, for the most part it´s just exciting realizing how close to being fluent I am. So close! And Salamanca is gorgeous. The cathedral is in view for most of my walk to school in the morning! An 800-year-old work of magnificence welcomes me to Spanish classes every morning! Insane! 

Well, that´s all I´ve got so far. Probably won´t be back in here until Sunday (if they´re even open) or Monday, if we walk all the way down here again. We´ll have to see when you get the segment of our lives contained in that previous post I don´t have with me... :] ¡Que tengan un buen día! (By the way, for those who know a little about Spanish, they use the vosotros form almost constantly here! I never fully learned it and now I have to know it all the time! They never, ever, ever use ustedes!) But seriously, good...is it afternoon there?...

No comments:

Post a Comment