Thursday, June 23, 2011

'Cause It's a Bittersweet Symphony, This Life.

I was so surprised...our time here is almost done. 

It's a bittersweet feeling, having the end of our month creeping toward us. On the one hand, I'm so fricking excited--I want to go home, share a room with only one person, eat whenever I want to, stuff my face full of American junk food, watch movies for a couple days, read, be lazy, never, ever go outside again. Sure, there are some things I definitely miss about America (Friends and family, for one; English, for another), but really, I know I'll miss Spain once I'm back in the States. I wish I could spend an entire year here--with an unlimited budget, of course. Spain is so full of history, and has such a strange, different culture. I absolutely adore many of the Spaniards I've met, and wish I had more time to meet more. 


One of the only pictures I've taken since Madrid...Sangria night 3.
Aside from all that idle prattle, I'd like to detail the most interesting things we've encountered this week. First, we went to our favorite sangria restaurant, plopped down at a table in the Plaza, and began our chatter. About 12:30, one of the Jersey boys that joined our host family comes marching up to us. He's drunk, he tells us, and the other one is even worse. He needs someone to help him get Gabe (the really drunk, 15-year-old one) home. Being the kind, responsible adults we are, we agreed. Since Giana had just ordered another sangria, we had to wrestle Gabe into a chair, keep him quiet and calm, and listen as Andrew (the more contained, 16-year-old one) vents his anger with Gabe. "I just can't stand people who can't hold their alcohol," he tells us. Sad, thinks-he's-so-mature kid. Anyway, Caroline and I linked arms with Gabe and walked him separately up the long road home, letting Andrew continue to vent his frustration to Giana and Michael a ways behind us.

When we finally made it home, Yolanda (our host "mom") flipped out. Apparently, Jersey boys were due home at midnight, and it was now one. Also, they'd signed wavers saying they wouldn't drink, and Yolanda's no idiot. She stormed past us, tore into their room, and ripped a hole in them. Needless to say, they haven't been allowed to go out after dinner all week. 

The boys are alright. They're so typically Jersey sometimes, it's ridiculous. But they're entertaining enough. They absolutely love Peguy, and he cannot figure it out. It's hilarious. We told him it's because he's so fly (he loves that word) and he just said, "I haven't even done anything cool yet." It's funnier in a German accent...We love hanging out with Peguy, really. He just says the funniest things sometimes--and he's so frank. He literally talked about how stupid the boys were with Yolanda, while they were at the dinner table. Awkward. And still funny. 

Unfortunately, Giana and Caroline have convinced me to show off my creepy/weird walks to both Peguy and Michael...and also in the park we were playing soccer in one night. Oh well. They can think I'm weird. At least Peguy now remembers my name's not Brittany...

On Tuesday, we got to go to a wine tasting for T&E. Surprisingly, they had some good wine, and it was a really interesting lesson. We actually learned how to be wine tasters--how to pour it, smell it, check the color and everything. Giana had to leave a little early to finish a group project, but Caroline and I came to the conclusion that we both prefer the Reservada, which means it's been in reserves for more than three years. Good stuff, and so smooth. We also concluded that wine is quite affecting, but that it wears off pretty quickly. Maybe I'll have to take up drinking a glass every now and then--red wine's supposed to be good for your heart, too. 

In other news, exams started on Wednesday, and we've been plowing right through them. Aside from a few road bumps, they've been pretty easy, as expected. Spanish professors seem to be more interested in the fact that you've learned something than that you can answer questions on a test--weird. We all have our last finals tomorrow, so there that goes. Then we just have this weekend, two days of filler classes, a farewell dinner on T&E, and flights home. 

So strange to think that we'll be leaving all this so soon. It's been such an experience, and I can't even explain what it's meant to be in Spain, practicing Spanish, living with a real Spanish family. Of course there have been some annoyances, but what's the good without a little taste of the bad? All in all, this has been a great first experience with traveling, and I know that I, personally, have been bitten by the travel bug. (Darn German guy has been to Greece! And he knows Ancient Greek and Latin. I'm so jealous of him. But that's not important.) 

Sorry this post is lacking in pictures, but there haven't been many picture-worthy events lately. Just funny memories. Hopefully we get some good pictures in this weekend to round it out, and I'm sure Caroline and I will be awkward on the plane again, so don't worry. :] 

Until then, ¡hasta luego! ¡Echamos de menos a todos! Por lo mejor... ;]

2 comments:

  1. Never go outside again!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha Well...I spent so much time walking and outside I'm kind of sick of it...

    ReplyDelete