Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Click Your Heels Together Three Times

I was so surprised...WE LEAVE TOMORROW!!

Well, in case you were wondering, we're all finished with our finals and our classes! We received our certificates and everyone did really well! Hopefully that amounts to some credits with NAU. ;] 

This weekend, Caroline got to visit both Astorga and León. She says, "They were awesome. Well, mostly Leon. Leon was having a festival, so it was cool. Um, there were a lot of flowers all around...and some guy was on stilts in a priest costume, with a big plaster head, and he chased me around. It was scary. And then, the cathedral was beautiful, cause I love stained glass windows. I saw a cool basilica, too. Isidore's body was in there. (Not that I really know who that is--I don't really know my saints at all) And then, also, it was just a really beautiful city. Astorga was not as beautiful, but it had some cool stuff, too. We can leave it at that. I think that is it. Yeah. Oh, and I saw a really cool carousel. It had a submarine on it, instead of horses, and it had dragons and a lot of cool stuff on it. Carousels need to be like that in America." "That's it?" "Yep. Thanks." You're welcome, friend. 

All that day, Giana and I took our German friend, Peguy, to the city pool. It's been ridiculously, unbearably hot for about a week, so we thought it would be a nice treat--and it was. We took a bus that some nice old lady pointed us to, and ended up in some strange, sketchy area. Luckily, we followed other swim suits to the pool. It was a little strange--there were two pools, each fenced off around the pool deck, and then surrounded by grass. I'd never seen a grassy pool area before, but it was interesting at least. The water was freezing, and so refreshing. It was a very nice, relaxing day.

We went out both Friday and Saturday nights, as well. We danced and had a lot of fun, chatting with random people as well. Nothing too exciting or out-of-the-ordinary happened, so I won't give you any more details unless you want them. :]

Sunday morning, we went to the flea market we'd been told about a few times. It was hot and sticky, and Giana wasn't feeling too well, so she sat down for a while in the shade--though I personally thought it was hotter under that plastic tent, ugh. Caroline, Peguy, Michael and I perused the little vendors, and found mostly a bunch of clothes. It was a little awkward to see underwear being sold in the middle of the walkway, but hey, whatever. Caroline and I both bought some pretty fans--practical, cheap, and a Spanish tradition (they really, seriously use them). They helped a TON. 

Anyway, we walked around there for a while, checked out the interesting things, and finally went home. Later that day, we spent a long time souvenir shopping, checking out almost every shop around the Plaza (which is a lot, let me tell you). We were hot and tired by the time we finally dragged ourselves home, and slept terribly in our un-air conditioned room. Apparently Spaniards don't believe in air conditioning? I don't even want to know how ridiculously hot it must be in the south! It got to be about 100 degrees here, and it's been fairly humid, as well. Ugh. I feel like at any minute I'll melt into a puddle of sweat and humidity. Hopefully that doesn't happen tonight, because

WE ARE GOING HOME TOMORROW!! We're so excited, it's ridiculous. I love Spain, but home is calling. Oh! And, we went to an American restaurant yesterday, to be ironic. The food was good, but not a delicious American hamburger. Bring on the calories, please! Who knew I'd miss the fatty fast food of home?

We're hopping on a bus out of here at 7 am tomorrow, driving back to Madrid, and saying goodbye to Giana at noonish. Then, Caroline and I ship off at 1. She and I will be getting into Phoenix around 11 pm, 8 am Spain time. It's gonna be a long day, and I'm sure the flight from Atlanta to Phoenix is gonna be torture, but I can't wait to touch ground at home again!

To all our friends and family: We love and miss you! Can't wait to see you so soon! Until then, ¡adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment