Thursday, August 11, 2011

I ain't gonna live forever.

I was so surprised...my random ideas could become an actual plan for my real life after college.

Well, if you didn't already know this, I'm graduating this May. I recently made the decision not to pursue a major in Spanish, due to the fact that I would be ridiculously stressed this semester with the completion of my education classes AND my Spanish capstone. So, there goes my second trip to Spain. I'm bummed, for sure, but I made a choice that should benefit my mental health.

So anyway, with this in mind, I've been thinking a lot about my future: where I want to live, what I want to do with my classroom, etc. Oddly enough, I think I have the basics all figured out already. And I am extremely excited about it, so I decided to document a little for you.

With regards to the where, well, I do not want to be in Mesa. I know that if I even start out here, just to make it easier on myself, I'm gonna end up stuck here forever. I settle too easily. So I knew I had to get a plan going, figure out where I want to live. For some reason, I got hooked on the idea of Oregon. Why? I really don't know. But I did a whole lot of research one day, and I began getting really, really excited about it. It actually started to sound like a place I could want to live.

And so, my mother began spreading the word, as mothers do, and we've gotten nothing but positive feedback. I just think about it and I'm happy. I'll be setting off on my own, starting my own life, on my own two feet. It's insane, and I'm terrified, but I can't wait for next summer to get here!

Granted, I have a TON of work to do to make this a reality, and more research to do (anyone know anything about Bend? I've been recommended to that city...), but I don't like to worry about the little details until I have to. So, packing and moving, finding an apartment, finding a summer job, finding a teaching job, and getting silly things like furniture all take a back seat to my grand plans to move to a completely different state and start up a life for myself--away from everyone I know.

It's crazy. Why am I so bent (ha) on being completely independent? Where the heck did I get this trait? Regardless, it's clear that I have some insane notion that I need to be independent, and there's nothing I can really do about it but hope that someone is making sure I think things through enough before totally changing my life.

My mom, I'm pretty sure, would prefer I live closer, at least at the beginning of real life, so she can help me out a little (and she told me this yesterday, actually). But even she's said that she agrees that it would be difficult for me to "get away" once I start to settle in down here. And I'm sure some friends and family won't be too thrilled with me, but, in the immortal words of Bon Jovi, "it's my life, and it's now or never." So I hope you can all understand and use your frustrated energy to help me prepare myself. ;]

Hopefully this all pans out, because I really hate abandoning my own plans...but I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

UPDATE: I also think I may try to establish a RIF (Reading is Fundamental) program at the school I move to...but that'll take a little more time than simply moving and getting a job, oy.

9 comments:

  1. Brandi...I am VERY proud of you. You have always been the kind of kid who pretty much did her own thing and owned it. OBVIOUSLY, I would love for you to live (at least) closer to home (if not HOME), but I am thrilled (and a little jealous) that you have your own mind and your own set of rules and the BRAVERY it takes to forge out on your own and make your own life (not that mom won't be visiting as often as I can...MAYBE once a year...haha). You never know until you try and what better time to try than when you're NOT settled down and STUCK in a place. You are my hero. You will be fine and we will work on getting you settled (because you so don't think I'm going to just send you away...see ya...without me going to make sure you are set up in an apartment, etc) and you will be fabulous...as always. Oh geez...this is going to be like your first year moving away to college...I can already tell. RIF is a GREAT idea and you will have SOOOOO much fun doing it. As I said before, you make me VERY PROUD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Brandi, sometimes I start to believe that all young people just want to settle for,or expect that someone else should do everything for them. How refreshing to hear your plans for independance. I believe if you can stick to your plan, even when the times become tough,and they most certainly will,you young lady will have a very rewarding life ahead of you.I so wanted to just stay in Minnesota,and just get by from day to day, but thankfully your uncle jack and aunt carol would have none of it. I sometimes can not believe all the wonderful things I have been able to witness. Get out and see this wonderful world, never just settle. You go girl.... Uncle jim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Uncle Jim! I'm hoping it will be rewarding in the long run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are really amazing Brandi! I will hate to see you go, mostly because I'd like to have you around as a role model for my kids. When I first heard you mention Oregon, I thought you were just kidding. You work on the big things, like a job, and all of us here will get you packed and loaded with whatever you need. Love you so much! samantha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Sam! I was kidding at first, to be honest, but it's really blossomed from there. I really appreciate your support!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brandi, just keep looking for more opportunities to move around this wonderful world. You may think because you are not STUCK here you have made a big break, just don't get stuck there. I believe you can have a fun life ahead. Love you Auntie Beck

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hells yeah, Brandi!! I am the same way--I want to be independent and move away from everything I know and just... do it! I wholeheartedly support you and KNOW you will do fantastic! You always have! Totally bummed about your second trip to Spain, but I understand the mental health issue. You'll go back someday, I know it!

    Oregon is beautiful, and I will have to come visit you! They have black sand beaches there, you know!! Keep me posted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Auntie Becky! I'll try to make sure not to get stuck there! ;]

    And Leah, you are ALWAYS invited to come visit! I really appreciate your faith in me. :] I hope I get to go back to Spain someday!

    ReplyDelete