Sunday, July 21, 2013

Tanger en Todo

I was so surprised...Russ and I got a little souvenir-crazy in Morocco today.

Okay, friends, I'm exhausted, so don't expect a very long post today. It's to your benefit anyway. ;)

Anyway, today we went over to Tanger, Morocco! We took the ferry this morning--about a 35-minute ride--and found the tour guide I'd booked for the trip. And boy, am I glad I did! Seriously, if you're ever in southern Spain and thinking about popping down to Morocco, I very highly recommend Aziz Saint Laurent for the tour. He got us safely through some sketchy (for tourists), but so cool to see parts and gave a very extensive tour of Tanger. Very fun.

Anyway, we got to see where the royal family of Morocco lives, the fish market, the fruits market, the spice market--basically all of the Kasbah, plus some cool little handmade shops. We also saw the Hercules Grotto--which was really cool, and Russ and I contemplated moving in--the sound, sight and smell of the ocean, paired with the dark cool of the cave. Plus, Tiger would have a blast hiding in the little cavelets (the technical term, I believe). :)

Plus, Aziz was kind of a celebrity. Everywhere we went, he knew at least half the people, and had "in"s for pretty much everything. It was fun.

Oh, and did I mention that he took us to a fabulous restaurant with authentic, local food? Well, he did. And it was amazing. Russ and I practiy scarfed the food, it was so good. They gave us what they called a salad, but really it was like a salsa, a plate of vegetables and bread, the. Some delicious Moroccan lamb recipe and some kind of chicken pie. Oh, it was amazing. So fresh and delicious.

Uh, anyway, we also bought some cool stuff in some little shops, and even had to haggle a good bit. We got a marble camel figurine, a pretty hand painted bowl, a couple beautiful tablecloths, AND (my favorite) a cool, Moroccan lantern! I'm obsessed, you guys. It's so heavy, but sooo beautiful! I can't wait to hang it up!

The only problem now is that we sti haven't bought any Spanish souvenirs yet...But we do still have a week, so we'll be keeping our eyes peeled for something cool. Until then, we're off to Malaga tomorrow, and then Granada! It's been a hell of a honeymoon already, and I can't wait for more!

Hasta mañana, mis compadres! Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment