Friday, September 30, 2011

Let's not go to Camelot. It's a silly place.

I was so surprised...I was not born sometime in the (more interesting) ancient times.

For example, when showing up to meetings naked, with a drum, was acceptable.

Okay, so I may or may not have just finished watching Kingdom of Heaven--you know, that random movie about Jerusalem in the Middle Ages? I don't think I saw four commercials for it coming out...Uh, it stars Orlando Bloom? Yeah, that one.

Well, so I didn't particularly like the movie (which is sad, because I tend to love anything regarding that time period), but I did enjoy bits and pieces. For example, the knightly Orlando Bloom. Or the battle scenes. Ish. They were a little melodramatic for my tastes, but I do love me a good medieval battle.

Seriously, if I could choose a time period to live in, it would be the (stinky, dirty, repressed) times in which men rode horses into battle, carrying huge swords that probably weighed as much as I do. Or huge bows the height of a man, with a quiver full of arrows and eyes full of roguish sexiness.
And/or the ability to string and accurately fire two arrows at once. Just sayin.
But really, I seem to have a thing for archers. This isn't a recent development, nor have I only just noticed this, but I do wonder at my strange attraction sometimes. It seems that anytime I find a character who happens to be an archer, he automatically becomes my favorite. (Exception here for Lord of the Rings: Aragorn is number one, obviously, with Legolas jumping up to tie every time he gets into battle.)

Don't get me wrong, I love a man hacking away with a sword, as well, and I can't even imagine the skill and strength it must have taken to wield such a weapon, but there's just something about the man who can hit his opponents from afar with a little string and a couple twigs.

Just look past this man's ugly aiming-face and see those rippling muscles.
Sexy, sexy beasts they are. And could you fight with a sword like this man? :

Didn't think so.
Or how about this man? It can't be easy to be silver, lounge, and fire an arrow. But archers are cool like that. Even in ancient, ancient times.
Or, maybe, "especially" in ancient times.
Maybe it's because I'm a Sagittarius. You know, the one no one can pronounce? The centaur, people...Half horse, half human?

Pictured: Me in my spare time.
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why I wish I lived in those times. Among other reasons not as interesting as archers. Anytime between Ancient Greece and the Renaissance will do, really.

No, not the Renaissance Festival. Though I'd totally work there.
Or, maybe when I eventually get married, I'll make my husband take archery classes with me...Yeah, that's a good alternative. Until those damn time machines are up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment